My easy step by step method is a foolproof way to learn how to peel and chop butternut squash like a pro. Prepare your favorite soups, stews, with butternut squash. As a matter of fact, you can use it in place of pumpkin in your recipes.
During the colder months, fresh butternut squash is found in supermarkets and farmers’ markets. So learning how to peel your own fresh butternut squash is great. Don’t get me wrong, you can find pre-cut butternut squash cubes in supermarkets and frozen ones, but honestly, nothing beats fresh.
How Long Will Butternut Squash Last?
I usually reserve the frozen ones for when all my fresh ones are used up, the fresh butternut squash (unpeeled) last up to 6 months when they are properly stored.
Tools You Will Need For Cutting Butternut Squash
- Cutting Board – a cutting board to keep your squash from rolling all over your counter.
- Knife– it is important to use a sharp knife to cut the stem and the base off your squash.
- Vegetable Peeler – I mostly use a knife but I find a vegetable peeler easier to use, it ensures you don’t cut too deep in the skin removing all the nutrients that are there.
- Bowl or Colander – to put your butternut squash chunks.
How To Prepare Peel And Cut Butternut Squash?
- Cut off both ends of the butternut squash. The stem and base of your squash.
- Using a vegetable peeler or a sharp knife, peel off the skin with a downward motion. A sharp knife is safer than a dull one. A dull knife can easily slip and cut you.
- Cut the squash in half crosswise at the base of the neck and bulb.
- For the neck part, slice into strips, laying them flat side down, cut lengthwise into smaller strips, then into cubes.
- For the bulb, cut into half lengthwise, then scoop out the membrane and seeds with a spoon or ice cream scoop. Save the seeds to roast.
- Cut each half of the bulb into strips then into cubes. Place in a bowl or colander, rinse and it is ready to add to your favorite recipes.
- Roasting your butternut squash before adding it to soups, stews, baked goods intensifies the flavor, learn how to prepare Roasted Butternut Squash.
Butternut Squash Recipes To Prepare
- Gluten-Free Vegan Butternut Squash Muffins
- Butternut Squash Coconut Curry
- Jamaican Jerk Butternut Squash Fries
- Roasted Butternut Squash With Pecans And Cranberries
- Roasted Radicchio And Butternut Squash Salad
- Autumn Squash Soup
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating 😉
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.